Subject: Re: Netscape ftp upload to NetBSD
To: None <perry@piermont.com, netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: James Wetterau <jwjr@name.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 02/02/1999 12:26:00
I said:

... some correct and some erroneous stuff ...

Have to correct my earlier reply.  ftp://user:pass@ftp.example.com
does work as a Netscape URL (for some Netscapes) at least under
Windows, but still this question is too ambiguous to properly decode.
Some further explanation of exactly what clients and servers are
performing what roles would be imperative to answer correctly.

Also, I do suggest trying the ftp://user@ftp.example.com first to see
if there is a password prompt, or better still using a text-based ftp
client to provide some sense of what is going on.  Also, poking around
in the relevant logs.

"Perry E. Metzger" says:

> I'm not even certain that I understand clearly what it is that you are
> trying to do. "Drag off Windows explorer to the Netscape window"????
>
> "Scott R. Burns" <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com> writes:
> > I am attempting to setup transfer areas for our clients via our NetBSD fire
wall. I would like them to use the ftp syntax under say NetScape of:

> > ftp://USERNAME:PASSWORD@ftp.whatever.com
> >
> > I seem to be able to drag off of Windows explorer to the Netscape window bu
t it tell me that the request was unsupported:

> > The following error was encountered:
> >
> >      Unsupported request
> >
> > This means that:
> >
> >     This request method is not supported for this protocol.
> >
> > Any idea how I can get a ftpd daemon that will work ? Is it a config thing
or do I need a different ftp daemon.