Subject: Re: dos2unixtime()
To: None <sean@bxfm.com, bouyer@antioche.lip6.fr>
From: Wolfgang Solfrank <ws@tools.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/28/1999 16:30:06
Hi,

On Jan 28, Manuel Bouyer wrote
> On Jan 27, Sean Clarke wrote
> > I am running NetBSD 1.3.3 on a 486 labtop (Compaq Contura 410C).  After
> > some hours of idle uptime I get this kernel message "dos2unixtime(): mount
> > value out of range (0)" and my machine is frozen.  I have no clue what to
> > do.  So I was wondering if anybody knows how to fix this or at least what
> > the problem is.
>
> The message comes from sys/msdosfs/msdosfs_conv.c:dos2unixtime().
> Sounds like the dos time passed to the function was wrong.

Anyway, this should not lead to a hang. (However, it's arguable, whether
this message should be dropped from the kernel). The code simply uses
month 1 instead.

> I guess a workaround would be to unmount the dos partitions.
> For a real fix I don't know. Could you gives more details about the
> dos partitions mounted (what king of OS created it, output of fdisk, etc).
>
> Maybe you could report this problem with send-pr, including as much
> informations as you can ?

Since it hangs after this message, I vaguely suspect that it tries to
access something other than a directory entry, but this is just a wild
guess...

Ciao,
Wolfgang
--