Subject: Re: Upgrade to 1.3.3 - system will not boot
To: Claude Marinier <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/1999 18:06:43
On Mon, 25 Jan 1999, Claude Marinier wrote:

> I started with a working 1.3.2. I created a 1.3.3 install disk, booted it,
> and selected an upgrade. It did an fsck of the partitions on the only hard
> disk, mounted / and /usr (off /mnt). I told it to get the sets from a
> local disk and it unpacked the .tgz files (no X or games). It ended by
> reporting success.
>
> Now, I cannot boot from the hard disk or the floppy disk. The last
> message is
>
> 	Detecting HDD Primary Master ... Maxtor 71084 A
:
:
> How do I recover?

Perhaps "escape to shell" from the install floppy, run "fdisk," and
make sure the NetBSD partition (165 or 169) is marked active. You
should at least be able to boot, using the install floppy, by hitting
the space key during the countdown and typing "boot hd0a:netbsd -s" at
the prompt. Then run "fsck." Success would mean that your mbr,
disklabel, and partitions are OK, and you'd just need to reinstall the
boot blocks.