Subject: Upgrade to 1.3.3 - system will not boot
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Claude Marinier <marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/25/1999 11:23:17
I started with a working 1.3.2. I created a 1.3.3 install disk, booted it,
and selected an upgrade. It did an fsck of the partitions on the only hard
disk, mounted / and /usr (off /mnt). I told it to get the sets from a
local disk and it unpacked the .tgz files (no X or games). It ended by
reporting success.

Now, I cannot boot from the hard disk or the floppy disk. The last
message is

	Detecting HDD Primary Master ... Maxtor 71084 A

I have turned the system off and let it sit a while. This is either a
hardware failure which happens to coincide with the upgrade or the upgrade
did something to the Maxtor drive which hangs the BIOS.

I have an ASUS P2L97 ACPI BIOS Revision 1005 (Award Modular BIOS v4.51PG)
with a Pentium 266MHz processor and 128 MB. I am using the on-board IDE
controller and I have two 3C905 Ethernet combo cards.

Is this a coincidental hardware failure or an Ungrade problem?

How do I recover?

Thanks.

Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675
3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0Z4         http://www.dreo.dnd.ca