Subject: Re: LaTeX -> pdf
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/21/1999 19:41:48
On Thu, 21 Jan 1999, Brook Milligan wrote:

> I am trying to create pdf files from LaTeX.  Currently I have run
> latex, dvips, ps2pdf (which invokes ghostscript to generate the pdf
> file).  All this is from pkgsrc.
>
> When I view the pdf file with xpdf (also from pkgsrc) I get dots and
> odd symbols completely unrelated to the original LaTeX source.
>
> Any ideas about what is going wrong?  Has anyone successfully created
> pdf files from LaTeX source?  What did you do?

I haven't tried this yet myself, but this tech note from Adobe,
<http://www.adobe.com/supportservice/custsupport/SOLUTIONS/543e.htm>,
may apply. There are more links to documentation on making pdfs on the
excellent xpdf home page, <http://www.foolabs.com/xpdf>.

xpdf-0.80 is still kind of rough, as should be expected from the
version number. I've encountered a couple of pdf's that cause it to
seg fault immediately, including a recent one from a "reputable"
source, Apple Computer
<http://www.apple.com/macosx/pdf/macosxserver-a.pdf>. gv, also
available from pkgsrc, opens them all, though I still prefer xpdf for
general use.