Subject: Re: Mounting DOS partition - device not configured?
To: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/20/1999 15:13:23
On Wed, Jan 20, 1999 at 01:31:07PM -0600, Frederick Bruckman wrote:

> > I definitely have the MSDOSFS built into my kernel... /dev/wd0e definitely
> > exists...
>
> I suppose that means the partition exists? Try running "fdisk" to make
> sure. Use "fdisk -u" if you need to change anything.

I can boot from the disk, I should say... I'm saying partition "e" exists
because it showed up in my disklabel output. However, it didn't show up
as type "MSDOSFS" or "MSDOS" or anything like that...

Now things are different, however. After running mbrlabel, things look like:

ac /root# disklabel wd0
# /dev/rwd0d:
type: unknown
disk: SAMSUNG WU33205A
label: fictitious
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 63
tracks/cylinder: 16
sectors/cylinder: 1008
cylinders: 6280
total sectors: 6330240
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # milliseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # milliseconds
drivedata: 0

8 partitions:
#        size   offset     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
  a:  6330177       63    unknown                        # (Cyl.    0*- 6279)
  d:  6330240        0     unused        0     0         # (Cyl.    0 - 6279)
disklabel: boot block size 0
disklabel: super block size 0

> Try this
>
> disklabel >/etc/disklabels/SAMSUNG
> disklabel -R -r wd0 /etc/disklabels/SAMSUNG #writes an initial label
>
> That will take care of the "no disklabel" message.

Will that be destructive with regard to my being able to boot into (blech)
W98? I'm not sure exactly where our (i386) disklabels live, physically, and
I don't want to overwrite anything the Evil Empire's OS holds dear. (At least,
not until I can run Diablo under NetBSD.)

> "mount_msdos /dev/wd0e /mnt" should do it for sure. If not, you would
> need to do "newfs_msdos /dev/rwd0e" first.

Eek... Hm. Is it possible that the blecherous lot in Redmond has done some-
thing different with Windows 98 such that W98-generated partitions aren't
recognized as such by other OSes?

Thanks for the help, and thanks in advance for future help.

--
Mason Loring Bliss...mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us...acheron.nws.net/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments