Subject: Re: Sendmail and m4 configuration
To: Chris Ewert <radio_1@geocities.com>
From: Frederick Bruckman <fb@enteract.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/09/1999 11:48:29
On Fri, 8 Jan 1999, Chris Ewert wrote:

> I am running NetBSD 1.3.2 and have the version of sendmail that came
> with it.  I am interested in creating a virtual user table.  I have
> setup the table using hash. and uncommented the line in sendmail.cf
> about Kvirtusertable and changed that to hash instead of dbm (wich I do
> not have installed or something).  Some pages on administering sendmail
> say that I need to add the feature in a .m4 file.  Is this simple?
> Where is this located under NetBSD?  Do I need to make sendmail again?
> Would it be better to upgrade sendmail?

First of all, if you want to edit sendmail.cf manually, you can skip
the m4. It sounds like what you've done already should work. It should
have taken effect as soon as you restarted sendmail.

You would use the m4 files to build your own sendmail.cf, from
scratch. The supplied sendmail.cf can be rebuilt like this:

	cd /usr/share/sendmail/cf/; m4 netbsd-proto.mc

netbsd-proto.mc consists only of the copyright notice + a couple of
lines. To use m4 to roll your own cf file, you would add, at least,
the line

	FEATURE(virtusertable)dnl

to a copy of that file, (before the "MAILER" line), and run m4 over
that. Then you back-up your old sendmail.cf, install the new one, make
the virtusertable, if you haven't already,

	cd etc; makemap hash virtusertable.db <virtusertable

and restart sendmail. There are some instructions for the m4 options
in /usr/share/sendmail/README. The latest sendmail FAQ is on the
sendmail website at <http://www.sendmail.org/faq/>, and there is a
sendmail newsgroup, <news:comp.mail.sendmail>.