Subject: Re: Interesting SCSI / FreeBSD emulation question...
To: Jason Thorpe <thorpej@nas.nasa.gov>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/1999 17:13:21
On Fri, Jan 08, 1999 at 11:00:31AM -0800, Jason Thorpe wrote:

>  > Our code uses the generic pass-through SCSI driver under FreeBSD - it's
>  > not using a custom driver - to drive a fairly plain-vanilla SCSI device.
>
> Eh... you can already do SCSI passthrough with NetBSD's SCSI code.  The
> "uk" driver can attach to the device, and you can use the SCIOCSCOMMAND
> ioctl.  This is what e.g. cdrecord does.

Right... But, I don't think the company is going to recompile under NetBSD
unless they've got a gun held to their collective head, whereas they do have
something that works under FreeBSD 2.2.1, and they'll soon have something
that works under FreeBSD 3.0.

I'm going to try to do some testing to see how well we work under NetBSD.
I'm really hoping it works well. Obviously, I want my company to officially
support our devices under NetBSD, as that will be good for NetBSD. (It can't
hurt, at any rate.)

Later... (And thanks for the info.)

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.ddns.org/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments