Subject: Interesting SCSI / FreeBSD emulation question...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/08/1999 13:36:23
Hi! I don't have a system on which I can test this yet, but I have a question
nonetheless. (I'm assuming i386 for the time being.)

Assuming NetBSD 1.3.3, as I haven't heard otherwise... How complete is our
FreeBSD emulation? Will a binary that runs on FreeBSD 2.2.1 (id est, pre-CAM)
run under NetBSD? How about CAM support? I'll set this up as soon as I can,
but having an initial idea would help.

Basically, my company is hopefully going to support a customer who is using
NetBSD <cheer> as their primary development platform. We don't support NetBSD
(yet), but we do have limping support for FreeBSD.

Our code uses the generic pass-through SCSI driver under FreeBSD - it's
not using a custom driver - to drive a fairly plain-vanilla SCSI device.

I'd love to see native support for NetBSD, but what's the chance of a SCSI
device (CAM or otherwise) working properly under NetBSD using the generic
pass-through SCSI driver under FreeBSD emulation?

Thanks in advance...

--
Mason Loring Bliss..mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us..acheron.ddns.org/mason/
"In the drowsy dark cave of the mind dreams build their nest with fragments