Subject: Re: Problems with ifaliases in 1.3.3 NetBSD
To: NetBSD help <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Stanislaw Szczygiel <stanley@prof.wip.pw.edu.pl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/05/1999 21:42:45
On Tue, 5 Jan 1999,  said about 'Re: Problems with ifaliases in 1.3.3 NetBSD':

>  On Jan 3,  5:57pm, Stanislaw Szczygiel wrote:
>  }
>  } O.K, again about problems with ifaliases. This time with more
>  } informations about system and initialization files.  Problem is in
>  } lack of any result of working ifaliases:  they appear the same as in
>  } 1.3.2 (and then work very well), but in 1.3.3 - I see the effect of
>  } commands (see below) - the same as in working 1.3.2 NetBSD!!!  But
>  } ping on address 148.....161, 162, 164 - gives no echo.  But there is a
>  } little change between old system and new:  now I use 100MB SMC PCI
>  } cards, erlier there were 10MB netcards...  System works fine, speed is
>  } very well - so I think systemm see my cards well. But maybe there are
>  } some changes in drivers... I really dont know why this not work.
>  }
>  } Ok, lets see my parameters and effect of netstat.
>  }
>  } This is "ifaliases" file:
>  }
>  } 148.81.82.161 ep2 255.255.255.255
>  } 148.81.82.162 ep2 255.255.255.255
>  } 148.81.82.164 ep2 255.255.255.255
>
>       On my system, I don't bother with netmasks in ifaliases.  Try:
>
>  148.81.82.161 ep2
>
>  The other thing you could try is what somebody else suggested, which
>  is to make the netmask the same as the primary one for the interface,
>  i.e.:
>
>  148.81.82.161 ep2 255.255.255.0
>
>  }-- End of excerpt from Stanislaw Szczygiel

I tried it all. Im sure that problem is in alck of ARPA for 100MB netcards
(if I undrestand manuals in NetBSD). So if there is no arpa for cards,
there is no propagating aliaes adresses with MAC address of card... It
cant work in such situation. I would like to be wrong, but im afraid this
is the answer... For 100MB cards in my opinion is impossible to make aliases.
Can anyone make aliases for 100NB cards?

Anyway thank for help and opinien. Problem is still actual - if anyone
know the solution, please help.

Stanley

.... The Guide is definitive. Reality is frequently inaccurate.

--
-----
|____     BYE
     \