Subject: Re: wscons
To: Danny Thomas <D.Thomas@vthrc.uq.edu.au>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 01/04/1999 22:36:20
[ current-users would prolly be better for this ]

On Tue, 5 Jan 1999, Danny Thomas wrote:
> Built a kernel using the supplied NWSCONS config but after a boot it hangs
> at getty saying /dev/ttyv0: Device not configured.
>
> Am I supposed to change /etc/ttys ?

Yes, cd /dev, then sh MAKEDEV ttyE0 ttyE1 ttyE2 ttyE3 (up to however
many virtual terminals you want), then edit /etc/ttys to start getty on
ttyE? instead of ttyv?

> Unlike pcvt, wscons doesn't yet seem to have any documentation so any clues
> would be appreciated. Eg I'm not even sure what wscons provides, I think
> virtual terminals are there but don't know for sure. If so, I gues PCVT
> will be retired at some point?

I don't really know what wscons provides either, although I do like the
green on black kernel output :) It does have virtual terminals; switch
between them with Ctrl-Alt-F1, Ctrl-Alt-F2, etc...
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++