Subject: Re: ssh passphrase question.
To: Feico Dillema <dillema@huygens.org>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/28/1998 14:10:34
On Mon, 28 Dec 1998, Feico Dillema wrote:

: I do this from my .xsession (.xinitrc):
:
: eval `/usr/pkg/bin/ssh-agent -s`
: /usr/pkg/bin/ssh-add </dev/null

I do *not* suggest doing this.  It is not guaranteed to go away between
sessions, and you probably don't want ssh-agent running while you are logged
out.

A better way to do this would be a script called `runagent' that is:

#!/bin/sh
ssh-add </dev/null
exec ${1+$@}

This script will run ssh-add, then the window manager, so that ssh-agent is
guaranteed to go away when the window manager dies.  You would replace the
above two lines (and the exec wm line) in your .xinitrc with:

exec /usr/pkg/bin/ssh-agent /path/to/runagent /path/to/your/wm [wm-options]

Just my $0.02.