Subject: Re: Dell machine
To: Chow-Sing M. Lin <lch@bruce.engr.ucf.edu>
From: Jonathan Marsden <Jonathan@XC.Org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/23/1998 19:00:28
On 22 Dec 1998, David Eckhardt writes:

>>     Has anyone ever successfully installed NetBSD on Dell machine?

> A while ago I installed NetBSD 1.1 (or was it 1.2?) on a Dell
> Dimension XPS P90 with no trouble at all (except for carrying home
> the huge stack of floppies).  The motherboard seemed fairly standard.

Likewise, I have NetBSD 1.2.1 running happily on a Dell Dimension (I
forget the model number, it was a Pentium 166).  Boring normal
install.  Unlike David, I brought the machine to work here, where the
LAN and T1 to the Internet made things easier for me :-) But the point
is, it just worked.  I recall that I had to mess with things to get
the ATAPI CDROM drive recognized, but that would be fine in a more
recent version of NetBSD anyway.

Jonathan
--
Jonathan Marsden   | Internet: jonathan@xc.org  | Making electronic
1849 N. Wabash Ave.| Phone: +1 (909) 794 1151   | communications work