Subject: Two questions...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Jonathan Belson <jon@dookie.demon.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/14/1998 12:57:36
Hiya

I've just upgraded a dx4-100 box running NetBSD 1.3.2 to a Pentium
Pro with the BX chipset.

When I try to boot the system, it gets as far as the line

"biomask 840" etc

but doesn't proceed any further.

Booting from the installation floppy appears to work until I
select upgrade/install, and confirm the action.  The system
just hangs (although I can still ping it).

I have the BIOS set to non-PNP aware OS and IDE bus mastering
disabled (but there are no IDE drives installed, the SCSI
disk is set to C: by the BIOS).

Does anyone have suggestions as to what I can try?

The other question is really related to FreeBSD, but someone
may still be able to help - I compiled a new kernel for 2.2.7
which seems to work great except when I try to `su root`, su
either hangs or SEGVs.  Logging in as root and su-ing to 'jon'
works fine however.

Has anyone ever experienced this before?

C-YA
Jon

<http://www.dookie.demon.co.uk>