Subject: Re: Multiboot: NetBSD, Win95, Windows 3.1(1) (maybe using OS-BS)?
To: Robert Kennedy <robert@cs.stanford.edu>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/11/1998 11:26:02
> Until last night I've been using OS-BS to boot my choice of NetBSD
> 1.3(.2?) for most of what I do, or MS-DOS (with windows for workgroups
> 3.11 underneath it) for some games and other stuff. Last night I
> decided to try installing Windows 95 as well, and the results were
> exactly as I predicted: utter chaos with no explanation from the
> "setup" program of what's actually going on.

I've done this enough times that I might be able to give you an
explanation. One of the worst things about the Win95 install is that it
puts its own bootblocks in, part of which is a _bitmap of the bootup screen_
(yuk!) so that it can flip to that graphic ASAP. However, if you overwrite
the graphic it does no harm. Win95 just grabs it from somewhere else and
leaves your modifications untouched.

The upshot is install Win95 first, custom boot stuff later.

That's just a guess though. If you tell me what happened I can give you
a better guess. :)

> My question is this: Has anyone out there got experience setting up
> the three-way multiboot situation I want? I'm interested in an
> off-list discussion with someone who might be able to advise me on how
> to get from where I am to where I want to be.

I've sent this on-list because the stuff above might be useful to someone
else, but we can continue off-list. Basically my setup is MS-DOS and then
win95 upgrade install and then os-bs.

To boot I select between Win95 and NetBSD from os-bs, and then in Win95
I can choose boot to old version ofr MS-DOS if I want.

Works no probs.

	- Joel