Subject: Re: Ghostscript won't start
To: None <fredfl2@soback.kornet21.net>
From: Joel Reicher <joel@panacea.null.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/07/1998 23:04:37
> When i try to start ghostscript by typing
> "gs" at the
> prompt,
>
> I get this message:
>
> "  /usr/libexec/ld.so:    gs:
> libpng.so.1.0  No such file or directory "

This means that the runtime linker couldn't find the shared library. You
have bascially three ways of telling it where to look: the environment
varible LD_LIBRARY_PATH, supplying the path as an argument to ldconfig,
or putting the path in /etc/ld.so.conf which is essentially the same as
providing it as an argument but doesn't require any editing of the rc
scripts.

I usually prefer the last.

It's all covered in the man pages for ld.so and ldconfig.

> I put /usr/libexec/ld.so and libpng.so.1.0 in

/usr/libexec/ld.so is the program returning the error, it's not the file
that is missing. The path you should provide as I have described above is
wherever you're keeping libpng.so.1.0

	- Joel