Subject: Re: Help with packages.??
To: None <dbsaint@bellsouth.net>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/04/1998 09:42:21
On Fri, 4 Dec 1998 dbsaint@bellsouth.net wrote:
> Yes , I recompiled with the virtual console support and everything, the only
> thing is , is that i get a blinking cursor at the top left hand side of the
> screen when i <ctrl><alt> FX . Weird stuff. plus when i have virtual comsloes
> compiled in, my keyboard locks up when i startx. so i think ill stick with pc0
> er whatever until a later kernel version comes out or somethin .

You also need to tell NetBSD to actually use those virtual consoles...
First, make sure you actually have the virtual terminal devices created:
"cd /dev; sh MAKEDEV ttyv0 ttyv1 ttyv2 ttyv3 ttyv4 ttyv5 ttyv6 ttyv7"
Next, edit your /etc/ttys so the top part looks something like this:

console	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pc3	off secure
ttyv0	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	on secure
ttyv1	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	on secure
ttyv2	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	on secure
ttyv3	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	on secure
ttyv4	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	off secure
ttyv5	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	off secure
ttyv6	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	off secure
ttyv7	"/usr/libexec/getty Pc"		pcvt25	off secure

Then do a "kill -1 1" to make init re-read the /etc/ttys file. Since ttyv0
through ttyv3 are marked as "on", and the rest "off", that'll give you 4
virtual terminals. If you want more, turn more of them on. X will want a
free virtual terminal to use though, so leave one of them off.

I personally haven't had any trouble with pcvt and X locking up the
keyboard, except when I did something to cause X and getty to fight for
the same terminal (e.g. incorrect xdm configuration, or quickly logging
out of a vt, switching to a logged-in one, and doing a startx, so that X
starts and the vt I just logged out of, then getty).

BTW, I see that the FAQs recommend "xdm -nodaemon" to keep X and getty off
the same vt... I haven't tried that, although it sounds like it should
work just fine :) What I did was to edit /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/xdm/Xservers
so that the vt was explicitly specified. i.e.
:0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X vt7

(with ttyv7 turned off in /etc/ttys)
Dahan: Hani G Y+C 23 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++