Subject: Re: X & keyboard lockup
To: None <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk>
From: Zach Fine <czyz@u.washington.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 12/02/1998 09:39:35
>>>>> ""Patrick" == "Patrick Welche" <prlw1@newn.cam.ac.uk> writes:

    "Patrick> I have something similar, but not the same, on i386 with
    "Patrick> pcvt: on starting X (with xdm) the keyboard locks
    "Patrick> up. Unplugging and replugging once revives it.  However,
    "Patrick> there is another mode of failure: just pressing caps
    "Patrick> lock will change the Num/Caps/Scroll lights from
    "Patrick> shimmering to all off. Again unplugging and replugging
    "Patrick> the keyboard once brings it back to life. My solution:
    "Patrick> use pccons, though the real solution nowadays is
    "Patrick> probably: use wscons.

That's exactly it! I think my problems did begin when I switched to
PCVT. I too had caps-lock problems. Whenever I hit caps-lock, the
keyboard would freeze, and I'd have to repeatedly plug and unplug the
keyboard to get it working again.  I tried using xmodmap to switch
caps-lock and ctrl, and after that, when I hit the ctrl-key (mapped to
caps-lock) my keyboard would freeze, so I think we can rule out a
hardware problem. I'm not sure if I still suffer from this caps-lock
problem or not, since I've been very effectively conditioned to never
touch the caps-lock key.

I'd be happy to use wscons, but I probably either need to wait for
1.3.3 or use current for that, right?

Thanks.
-Zach Fine
czyz@u.washington.edu