Subject: Re: still clueless
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Geoff Wing <mason@primenet.com.au>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/25/1998 02:48:07
Bob Savage <savage@2xtreme.net> typed:
:What the !?!
:I am trying to set up a new user -- which I did successfully once before
:about a month ago -- by following the instructions in the manserver. I
:edited the passwd file, then tried to create the home directory for the
:newuser, but I can't change ownership because it says the user doesn't
:exist. I tried logging in as the newuser, but login fails.

Use ``vipw'' which edits both /etc/passwd and /etc/master.passwd and
rebuilds /etc/pwd.db and /etc/spwd.db

:I must be missing a step, but what?
:One problem is I do not know how to actually set the newuser's initial
:password, I tried nothing and the login ID but neither of those worked. I
:assume I don't enter it in the passwd file because the man page says that
:is encrypted (yes?)

Once you've made it, you can run ``passwd newusername'' as root, or just
``passwd'' as newusername

If you want a package solution, there's addnerd in the package tree though
I haven't tried it.
--
Geoff Wing   <gcw@pobox.com>            Mobile : 0412 162 441
Work URL: http://www.primenet.com.au/   Ego URL: http://pobox.com/~gcw/