Subject: Re: we driver still broken.
To: Feico Dillema <dillema@huygens.org>
From: Alfred Perlstein <bright@hotjobs.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/24/1998 10:26:35
On Tue, 24 Nov 1998, Feico Dillema wrote:

> > > Has anyone had a chance to look at the we driver?  It causes a kernel
> > > panic when ifconfig'd on i386-current
> >
> >What is the panic message?
>
> Woah! I might have had a similar problem some time ago and thought I
> was the only one. It happened right after I enabled the IDE-CDROM
> controller on a Gravis PnP soundcard, and build a new kernel.
> I thought the fact that the kernel assigned the same IRQ to this
> CDROM controller and the we0 card was the cause (I posted a question
> about it on -current), but now I'm not so sure. This machine netboots
> but with the new -current-ish kernel (including CDROM) we0 `device
> timedout' at boottime...

I'm booting right now to check tht i don't have any overlapping drivers, i
should have done this a while back, however i did compile my kernel and
thought i had taken care of all conflicts.

Last night i compiled a debug kernel and tried to trace through the code,
however, i'm a bit inept with using the kernel debugger and couldn't
figure out how to get a source listing of where i am in the kernel.  nor
how to jump around stack frames to examine local variables in functions :(

Need more practice with this thing. :)

> BTW, I'm not using egcs at the moment, so it cannot be the code-generation
> problem reported earlire with the we0 driver (if my memory serves me
> right)...

I wasn't aware of this issue, I think i'm going to subscribe to -current
and review the mailing list archives.

btw, any word on the ultrasparc port?

thanks,
-Alfred