Subject: Modem will not answer
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Andreas Gustafsson <gson@araneus.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/23/1998 23:05:53
I recently upgraded an old i486 PC from NetBSD 1.2 to 1.3.2.  The
PC has a dial-in modem on a "com" port.  Since the upgrade, the
modem mysteriously refuses to answer incoming calls.

I have already tried two different modems (one internal and one
external) - both behave the same.  The modems are configured to
auto-answer (ATS0=4), a getty is running, the DTR and AA LEDs on the
external modem are lit.  When the phone rings, the TD and RD LEDs
blink briefly at each ring, but the modem never goes off-hook.

I have a vague recollection that someone else struggled with
a similar problem a while ago.  Was it ever resolved?

The really weird thing about this is that if I run Kermit on the
serial port, the modem answers just fine.  If I run getty, it won't.
--
Andreas Gustafsson, gson@araneus.fi

I am running a getty on the modem's tty, and the