Subject: Installation problem on a 486 PC...
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: John Chandler <metaljoe@snowcrash.u-net.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/1998 18:46:00
This is my first posting to the list, and first installation of
NetBSD, so apologies for the newbie-ness... ;-)

I recently got hold of a basic 80486SX PC compatible discarded from
work. The machine has a 250MB Seagate IDE drive, 8 MB RAM, 1 MB
Trident video card and a 3.5" 1.4MB floppy drive. The machine
originally had Win95 installed, but the hard disk was wiped before it
was handed to me. I can confirm everything was working prior to being
wiped.

Since I have no OS on the machine, I had to prepare the NetBSD
installation disks on an Amiga A4000. The boot disk was created fine,
and the split floppy sets were copied to disk without problem. The
machine boots okay with the NetBSD boot disk, and I get to the
installation menu.

I select option a) Install NetBSD to hard disk, and confirm it. The
installation software then states "I cannot find any hard disks for
use by NetBSD" (!?)

I double checked the BIOS settings for the Hard Drive, and tried again
a few times - with the same result each time.

I then tried to install the only other x86 OS available to me, to see
if the drive was present/usable - MINIX. (I studied operating systems
as part of my computing degree, and still have the book and CD). MINIX
installed, though it took a couple of attempts to sort out the
partitioning and so on. However, MINIX wouldn't boot from the hard
disk, only with the boot disk - I'm not sure how relevant this is, or
whether it's just a problem with MINIX. At least it suggests the drive
is present and correct.

I then tried with an old (Amiga FFS formatted) 200MB IDE Seagate lying
around  - same problem, it isn't 'found' either.

Why isn't a hard disk being detected? What am I doing wrong or need
to do?

Thanks in advance,

John Chandler

--