Subject: Problems with dual Adaptec 2940-UW controllers
To: 'netbsd-help@netbsd.org' <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Scott Burns <Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/16/1998 02:11:58
We just started to receive the parts for our new NT killer NetBSD server
and we have hit a snag right off the start. Installing two Adaptec 2940UW
controllers on different IRQs, one with bios disabled (not the bootable
one), and one with it enabled (the lower of the two PCI numbers as per the
adaptec menus) the install hangs.

We are installing from the NetBSD cd-rom which was sold from NetBSD.Com
earlier this year and it hangs right at the point where it prints biomask,
ttymask, netmask etc. If we remove the second controller the main
installation menu pops up. I think the step after this one (masks etc) is
where the kernel dumps out the root partition information etc. Anyone have
any ideas whats up ?

Some more info:

Brand new Adaptec 2940-UWs (BIOS V1.3.34 I think, I will gather much more
detailed info if know one knows about this already)

Hangs with or without hard drives installed on second controller.

Interesting that the kernel probes and finds both controllers and drives
(if drives are installed on the second controller).

Another interesting thing is I have these controllers and drives programmed
for 40 MHz but the
kernel probe comes up with 20MHz ???

Haven't had a chance to switch around controllers yet, could be a bad
controller I guess but I don't think so.

Machine is a new Compaq Prosignia 200 with 96MB RAM, primary IDE controller
disabled, secondary IDE has CDRom which is found OK.

Scott Burns
Scott.Burns@Netcontech.Com

P.S. On a side note we have a Adaptec 2920C which we hope to install as
well to run our DAT24x6 changer. Installing it alone (non of the 2940's),
the Ctrl-A message does not appear. Docs say even if this Ctrl-A banner is
programmed off hitting Ctrl-A should still work, it does not. The bios chip
is installed on this card, it is a new card I think. It was lying around
the office. The card does come up with it's banner saying V3.0 firmware,
finds the tape drive etc. Is this card supported under V1.3.2 ? I need to
get the bios turned off on this guy as it is not going to be the boot card
of the 3 Adaptecs and I think I have to have the bios off on all cards but
the one to be booted.

P.P.S. PCI Slot 1 seems to be hooked to the onboard E-Net card. The ENet
card is recognized ok by the kernel. Can this slot be used with say an
adaptec without worry that they are both using the same IRQ ? No matter
what IRQ I set the ENet too it changes PCI slot 1 to that IRQ and vice
versa. Very odd. This slot is not being used related to the problem with
the dual cards above to simplify troubleshooting.