Subject: Re: Basic networking help needed
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Arto Huusko <arto.huusko@pp.qnet.fi>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 11/04/1998 15:46:15
On 27-Lok-98, Anders wrote:

>> I have two computers running NetBSD 1.3.2, an Amiga 4000 and a Pentium
>> [...]
>> The  Amiga  is  also connected via modem to Internet using ppp.  These
>> both  networks  work  fine but I would like to gain access to Internet
>> from the PC when Amiga is connected to 'net.
>
> Unless you have valid Internet IP addresses on both the Amiga and the
> Pentium, you must run the Amiga as a router with IP-NAT.
>
> It's well described in an IP-NAT how-to at
> http://radon.moof.ai.mit.edu/~armenb/ipnat.html (also linked from
> http://www.netbsd.org/ under documentation).

OK,  once  I again I have hit my head on the wall long enough and must
ask (I like to try things out myself first :)

I got the IP-NAT running on Amiga.  There were at first some problems;
the  kernel  I  had  compiled dropped to kernel debugger once pppd was
running  and  generic  kernel  replied for netstat -i kvmem_read:  bad
address  or  something  like that.  I compiled a new kernel (I think I
had  some problems with the code generator switches for assembler) and
at last got it working.

That  is,  it  seems  to work but still no access to internet from the
pentium.   The  IP-NAT  howto  did  not  tell what I have to do on the
machines  not  connected  to the internet.  route add default 10.0.0.1
perhaps?   (10.0.0.1  is the address of the computer that IS connected
to  internet  using  ppp).   With  that  I  could see for example ping
packets  arriving  to  the amiga but it did nothing with them.  I also
tried  ftp  but  that  didn't  work  either...  no access to internet,
simply.

So here is a bit more detailed information....

The addresses of the two machines are 10.0.0.1 and 10.0.0.2.  10.0.0.1
is  connected  to internet via ppp0 and both machines are connected to
each other using sl0. The real internet address is dynamic...

this is what route show shows (roughly) on the amiga after pppd is up:

destination    gateway
default        194.251.131.20  (this is always like this)
10.0.0.2       10.0.0.1
localhost      (the address issued to me from ISP)
194.251.131.20 (the address issued to me from ISP)

I can be more exact with that if needed.

My ipnat.conf looks like
map ppp0 10.0.0.0/24 -> 0/32 portmap tcp/udp 10000:40000

as per ipnat howto. ipf.conf is empty.

I tried several different configurations in the ipnat.conf but no help
(for example 10.0.0.0/32, 10.0.0.2/8 and so on).

ipnat  -l  never  showed any "active sessions" and ipnat -s reported 0
packets for each field that it reports (except the number of rules).

I also tried ipnat.conf as showed in /usr/share/examples/ipf/BASIC.NAT
with the two lines (first having portmap, second not).  No help there.

Frankly,  I  have  no  idea.   I suspect the routing must be organized
differently  on the pentium instead of just route add default...  some
help would be appreaciated, please. I've out of ideas.

--
Arto Huusko
E-Mail : arto.huusko@pp.qnet.fi