Subject: Justification
To: None <netbsd-help@netbsd.org>
From: Marinier, M. Claude, G. <claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/29/1998 09:45:41
This is probably a common problem. Holefully is has a common answer.

I am building a network server (DNS, DHCP, ...) from a big PC and NetBSD
1.3.2. At some point I will have to justify this decision. Three questions
will arise 1) Why did you not use one of the SPARC systems? 2) Why did you
not use Solaris 2.6? 3) Why did you not use Linux?

Being a government agency means that we have tight budget constraints,
i.e. we are not likely to purchase any new SPARC systems. The SPARC
systems we have are old. I can blow the doors off those old systems with
the PC (Intel Pentium II, 233 MHz, 128 MB RAM) and it is a proper server
box. So the answer to the first question is that this gives us cheap
reliable performance.

The second question is harder to answer. Solaris is a standard commercial
operating system. It has an air of respectability and it is supported
commercially. How do I answer that? Is there a standard "Why you should
use a free OS" paper out there?

The third question is tricky. Most people have heard of Linux; it has
earned some respect and is supported commercially. Some people have heard
of FreeBSD but few have heard of NetBSD. I think that NetBSD is solid and
very well supported. How can I convince management?

I would prefer to show management an article in the trade press or some
account of personal experience and success with NetBSD.

Thank you for your help.

Claude Marinier, Information Technology Group    claude.marinier@dreo.dnd.ca
Defence Research Establishment Ottawa (DREO)    (613) 998-4901  FAX 998-2675
3701 Carling Avenue, Ottawa, Ontario  K1A 0Z4         http://www.dreo.dnd.ca