Subject: Re: Cross-compile q?
To: William O Ferry <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 09/18/1998 16:10:07
On Fri, 18 Sep 1998, William O Ferry wrote:

: It seems to me that cross-compiling from one NetBSD architecture to
: another should be pretty trivial.

A minor bit of history:  Our toolchain (particularly the assembler and
linker) came about a long, long time ago in a source code galaxy far away.
Particularly for a.out-based platforms, it is very out of date and out of
maintenance.

Currently, it's not possible to have a full set of cross compiler tools for
NetBSD a.out platforms, and only a near-complete set for ELF platforms.  In
particular, you cannot create a.out shared libraries or link dynamically via
a cross compiler system without some pretty gross hacks to the in-tree
NetBSD linker code.

That's getting better, and something that will be addressed either by the
release of 1.4, or by 1.4.1.  Most of the requirements for this task are
"must fixes" for 1.4, so it is very likely that the complete NetBSd source
tree as of 1.4 will be cross-compilable.