Subject: Re: fetchmail and telnet will not talk to localhost port 25
To: Todd Vierling <tv@pobox.com>
From: Dave Millen <dmill@globalnet.co.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/30/1998 21:16:42
Todd Vierling wrote:

> Run "sendmail -q5m" - it will daemon itself, and run the queue automatically
> every 5 minutes.  (You could use a differnt value such as 30s or 1m, of
> course.)

Yes, I have it set up similarly to that, but there is still a long delay between
'fetchmail' requesting the first message and the start of delivery, with a
similar pause at the beginning of each subsequent message - although, as I
mentioned previously, transfer times are normal, big files coming through in the
time that I would expect.

I have tried to eliminate any possible conflicts between my DNS and the remote
by rebooting clean without starting 'named' and by specifying the remote's
primary and secondary servers in the ppp connect script. This does not seem to
help.

>From watching the modem lights, it appears that the sequence of events is as
follows:

    1. 'fetchmaill' requests my mail
    2. the list of messages comes back very quickly
    3, 'fetchmail' requests the #th message and echos 'receiving message (#)
.'
    4. there is then a long pause before the message is actually sent
    5. it then transfers normally and is passed to 'sendmail' and flushed with
no problem
    6. repeat steps 3 to 5 until all messages received.

A very similar sequence of events also takes place when sending mail.

It may be that I still have something incorrectly configured - it's a bit
difficult to test everything locally as the machine is currently working as a
standalone, building and testing virtually hosted websites, which all works
well.

Most of the documentation assumes a local network, which is the environment that
I am accustomed to. Any help on setting up a standalone with internet connection
only when required would be appreciated :)

regards,
Dave

--
Customer: "I'm running Windows 95 and Internet Explorer 4."
Tech Support: "Y-e-e-e-e-s........"

e-mail: dmill@globalnet.co.uk
net: http://www.largesalad.co.uk