Subject: Re: booting from a disk
To: None <abs@anim.dreamworks.com, shriver@research.bell-labs.com>
From: Liddy Shriver <shriver@research.bell-labs.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/28/1998 08:20:23

> 	One quick point - if you still have a viable 'netbsd.old'
> 	kernel in the root directory you can boot from it by pressing
> 	SPACE during the boot blocks countdown, then type
> 	'boot netbsd.old'.

Thanks for the tip; I didn't find this printed anywhere.  Is it?

> 	The problem you are having is that your normal root filesystem is
> 	not mounted when you type 'mv /netbsd.old /netbsd' - at that point
> 	the root filesystem is the in kernel ramdisk.
>
> 	You should not use /tmp as a mountpoint - if you need a spare
> 	mountpoint then 'mkdir /mnt2' or similar and use that.
>
> 	It sounds like you root filesystem might be very unhappy - can you
> 	try: (replace wd0a as necessary)
> 		fsck /dev/wd0a
> 		mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
> 		cd /mnt
> 		mv netbsd.old netbsd
> 		reboot

My problem was that I was trying to mount the entire disk, not just "a".
Since part of the disk was Windows NT, it wasn't happy.

But, I have another problem... now, when I try to open my SCSI disks,
I get a message "`/dev/rsd0d': Device not configured".  I cann't see
a disklabel either (i.e., "disklabel -r sd0" gives me "disklabel:
/dev/rsd0d: Device not configured".  I had been using the disks fine, but
powered them down and reboots the machine to get them out of a funny
state.  Now, they aren't configured... how do I configure a SCSI disk?