Subject: Re: booting from a disk
To: Liddy Shriver <shriver@research.bell-labs.com>
From: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/27/1998 14:05:50
	One quick point - if you still have a viable 'netbsd.old'
	kernel in the root directory you can boot from it by pressing
	SPACE during the boot blocks countdown, then type
	'boot netbsd.old'.

	The problem you are having is that your normal root filesystem is
	not mounted when you type 'mv /netbsd.old /netbsd' - at that point
	the root filesystem is the in kernel ramdisk.

	You should not use /tmp as a mountpoint - if you need a spare
	mountpoint then 'mkdir /mnt2' or similar and use that.

	It sounds like you root filesystem might be very unhappy - can you
	try: (replace wd0a as necessary)
		fsck /dev/wd0a
		mount /dev/wd0a /mnt
		cd /mnt
		mv netbsd.old netbsd
		reboot

		David/absolute

                  -=-  Trust is a non-renewable resource  -=-