Subject: booting from a disk
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Liddy Shriver <shriver@research.bell-labs.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/1998 11:03:57
Help!

I have been instrumenting the SCSI device drivers so that I
can see how long various operations take.  I must have edited
the wrong thing, because after my last make of the kernel, my
machine won't boot.  It prints out the messages that go to the
dmesg file, but halts at the one for the scsi disks.  I turned
off my disks, but that doesn't seem to help.  So, I make a
boot disk (copying the book.fs from the installtion), and have
booted the system.

I have two IDE disks: one with /usr/src and the other with
everything else, and Windows NT.  I can mount the disk with
/usr/src, but when I cd to the directory were I would build
the kernal and type "mv /netbsd.old /netbsd" I get no such file
found.  How do I move the old kernel back?

Also, I can mount the disk with everything else (and Windows NT),
but when I cd to the directory that I used as a mount point,
I get "cann't cd".  I didn't know what to use as a mount point,
so I picked tmp.  When I do an "ls -l", there's something there,
but the entry looks odd... it starts with a "p" instead of a "d",
etc.

Liddy