Subject: the scoop on pc0 vs. vt0
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Todd Whitesel <toddpw@best.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/26/1998 01:01:05
Okay, I've heard about the snazzy virtual consoles and stuff, and I'd like to
try it. However I like doing my homework first, and I'm running into some
trouble there. I used 1.3.2 release tarballs to install this machine.

The i386 GENERIC config file has this:

# ISA console.  You can only configure one of these!
pc0     at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # pccons generic PC console driver
#vt0    at isa? port 0x60 irq 1         # PCVT console driver

"man pc" and "man vt" both turn up nothing.

"man pcvt" however produces a marvelous man page, with a reference to pc(4),
but "man 4 pc" says there is no entry.

Why is "pc" the default when it has no man page?
Why is "pcvt" the man page for /dev/vt0 ?

Does there exist an overview-style writeup explaining why one would choose
one of the pc or vt drivers over the other?

Todd Whitesel
toddpw @ best.com