Subject: Re: png-1.0.2 package install failure
To: Fujie Zhang <fzhang@NMSU.Edu>
From: Thorsten Frueauf <s_frueau@ira.uka.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/23/1998 23:49:04
Hello!

> i'm having problems with installing the png-1.0.2 package. i have png-0.96
> already installed on my i386/current. when i tried to install this newer
> version, i got an error message like: @pkg... png-0.96 error....

I think pkg_add will tell you that png-1.0.2 conflicts with the already
installed png-0.96, so you need to remove that package first
with `pkg_delete png-0.96`. But note that other packages may depend on
png-0.96, thus you have to remove them too and rebuild/reinstall
them after you installed png-1.0.2.

[Note that this is currently a flaw in the "upgrade strategie" for
 packages; currently we think over a better solution for this
 obvious problem. If you have any thougths about that, the
 tech-pkg maillist is the righ location to discuss this.          ]

Greets
--

   Name  : Thorsten Frueauf            Milano@irc cri@onaliM       //
   E-Mail: s_frueau@ira.uka.de oder ukfy@rz.uni-karlsruhe.de     \X/