Subject: Re: IPNAT with only one interface?
To: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
From: Simon Raahauge DeSantis <xiamin@scdesantis.ne.mediaone.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/20/1998 18:52:19
On Mon, 20 Jul 1998, Anders Dinsen wrote:
> You might be able to give an alias IP address to the interface, thus
> assigning it two different IP addresses.

I've since heard more about this, that you can do so with
ifconfig interface0 inet 10.0.0.whatever alias
but I can't seem to get it to work. Nothing complains, but I can't ping
the aliased address or contact it in anyway.

> You can try it on your Quadra, by connecting the cable modem to the
> hub to see what is happening.

I had to buy a cross-over cable to do this since the cable modem crosses
the cable over inside itself, but with the cross-over cable it is
double-crossed.

> I don't know anything about cable modems. I assume that your host and
> that the cable modem allows you to access some router on the internet
> with an IP address. But how about the cable modem? Does it have an IP
> address too?

The cable modem does have an ip address, it's something weird in the 10
range, but I don't know it, or need to know it. My default
gateway/router/whatever has a different MAC address (and a real ip#
(24.128.90.1)).

> If the cable modem is identified by an IP address itself (on the
> Ethernet side that is), giving the interface two addresses and
> inserting the cable modem as the default router should allow you
> access to both networks from your NetBSD box.
>
> But I'm unsure about IPNAT. The thing is that it must convert
> addresses to and from the same interface but in different address
> ranges.
>
> Anders Dinsen
>

> On Thu, 16 Jul 1998 22:19:03 -0400 (EDT), you wrote:
> >Currently I'm running NetBSD/mac68k on a Quadra 650 with two ethernet
> >interfaces, one of which is connected to a cable modem (getting the ip#
> >via dhcp). The other is connected to my hub (and is 10.0.0.1). I've got
> >IPNAT running so the (currently one) other machine on my lan can access
> >the internet. However, I might buy a Sun IPX which would have only one
> >ethernet interface. If I got that I'd want to use that as my UNIX box so I
> >wouldn't have to abuse my poor Quadra anymore. This leaves me wondering if
> >it would be possible to run IPNAT on one ethernet interface (from what I
> >hear sbus ethernet cards are hard to come by). I've never tried running a
> >cable modem which isn't directly plugged in, but that doesn't mean it
> >might not work (Does anyone have any info on this? It's a LanCity Model
> >LCPET-2). If the modem did work when plugged into a hub, the IPX was also
> >plugged into that hub, and my two Macs were also plugged in there, could
> >the IPX do IPNAT for the Macs? Oh, I forgot to mention that the IPX would
> >be running NetBSD (of course :).
> >
> >TIA
> >-Simon Raahauge DeSantis

-Simon Raahauge DeSantis