Subject: Re: PPP persistent and demand dialled connection
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/19/1998 12:47:32
On Tue, 14 Jul 1998 12:35:53 -0400, you wrote:
>On Jul 14,  3:03pm, dinsen@danbbs.dk (Anders Dinsen) wrote:
>-- Subject: Re: PPP persistent and demand dialled connection

Ok, it works now, but I'm not completely satisfied. First of all,
performance is quite low. My NetBSD box is a 486DLC-40 based system,
so I suspected that compression algorithms have negative impact on
performance. So I included

nodeflate
nobsdcomp
asyncmap a0000 ; to make sure only XON/XOFF are escaped...

in the /etc/ppp/peers/<my-isp-call-file>

And it helped a bit, but I still get performance below 1K/second with
my 19200 modem (which will be switched with an ISDN connection when
I'm satisfied with demand-ppp on NetBSD). On my Win95 pc I get
performance around 1.5K/sec.

Another thing is that someone opens the connection every 15 minutes or
so. I assume it's my Windows pc that looks for a WINS server on the
internet... I can of course block this protocol (which is some UDP
port) on the ppp interface, but does anyone have some good filters for
a setup like mine? Also for the active-filter, that pppd supports?

Anders