Subject: Re: Of diskless i386 workstations, update and swap files on the local drive (bug?)
To: None <boquist@cs.chalmers.se>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1998 11:39:13
Urban Boquist wrote:

   Even if it had worked I don't think swapping to an msdos file system
   is a very good idea because the msdos filesystem is horribly slow.

           -- Urban

  True, I thought of that.

However my rationalization was that swaping to a msdos file system must be faster than accessing
the nfs server and swaping at the same time.

I just find it hard to believe that accessing a msdos disk would be slower than nfs.  Besides X
seemed to come up faster with the msdos swap than the nfs, that is, until it crashed.

It could have been blind optimizm on my part.

thanks
jam