Subject: Of diskless i386 workstations, update and swap files on the local drive (bug?)
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: John A. Maier <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/13/1998 10:08:40
Seeking ever to push NetBSD to it's limits, I setup a diskless
workstation.

The computer I used is a 486DX-66 w/ 8megs.

I got X to work and everything.  But alas, the performance is not
great.  I noticed that X will pause when ever I open a new app, so I
checked systat and noticed that the swap was up to 40% with just the
window manager and a xterm.  So I figured that swaping over nfs is too
much of a performance bottleneck.

1) I mounted the local msdos drive,
2) made a swap file (diskless man page) on the mounted msdos drive.
3) Added "/mnt/temp/swap none swap sw 0 0" to fstab
4) typed swapclt -A at the prompt and it worked!

But all is not perfect.  I launced X, I counld see the local drive being
accessed as NetBSD swaped to it and everything was going okay when the
screen went blank and the computer rebooted :-(

After I rebooted, I found that update had left a update.core gift in the
/ directory.

So is this a bug?
Does update or swap have a problem with msdos drives?

If it is of any interest, the drive is formated MSDOS 6.22.

Thanks,
jam