Subject: PPP persistent and demand dialled connection
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Anders Dinsen <dinsen@danbbs.dk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/11/1998 22:14:14
Dear fellow-NetBSD'ers.

I'm investigating how I can let my NetBSD box function as my Internet
gateway with a PPP connection opened when someone on my LAN requires
access to the 'net, and closed off again after a few minutes of idle
time. Currently I have a modem connection, but I plan to implement
ISDN. (It's important that the connection is closed again, since you
pay for local phone calls in my country [Denmark].)

pppd supports this with my NetBSD revision which is 1.3.1 - about to
be patched up to 1.3.2 before working on this.

I plan to use NAT too.

My problem is that the pppd man page states that I must give the
distination IP address as an option to pppd if I have a persistent
demand dialled connection (apparantly because the connection is
virtually available all the time with routing tables constantly
updated, even if the modem is'nt dialled).

I cannot give this, since my ISP has several modem hosts with
different IP-addresses, and I cannot determine which one I am getting
in touch with when I am dialling a specific phone number.

=46or example, at one time I will get in touch with a host with IP
194.234.11.5, and when retrying a few seconds later, I will get in
touch with 194.234.11.11.

Is there a solution to this problem?

I have'nt experimented with it all yet, so I might be totally wrong on
this. On the other hand: The pppd man page is quite clear on this.

Sincerely,
Anders Dinsen