Subject: Insecure Password?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Feico Dillema <dillema@acm.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/09/1998 10:57:29
Hi,

I'm a bit confused. The following happened on my little alpha-box running
NetBSD-current of a few weeks ago. I added a user and gave it a password.
When I tried to login I made a typo, but still logged in successfully.
I tried to login wirh both passwords after that (with and without typo)
and managed to login in both cases. The type was in the 5th character
of the 6-character password. My question is: Is such a thing supposed
to happen at all, or is there something wrong with the encryption of
passwords on that machine. How can I check?

Feico.

- Do we need to start a Free DNA Foundation or start an Open DNA Movement?