Subject: Zip Drive Support
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Simon Rowe <simon@gwent.nhs.gov.uk>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/07/1998 17:25:42
Hello,

I am trying to get my parallel port zip drive to work with NetBSD 1.3.2
and was wondering if anybody can help me ?

I have found some code on the internet that provides support for FreeBSD
and parallel zip drives at the following URL:

	http://www.prism.uvsq.fr/~son/PPBUS/ppbus.html

I am hoping it will provide suport under NetBSD too, as the two are BSD
based (sorry if thats very niave).

The problem I have is changing the FreeBSD kernel config file format to
NetBSD format. For example the instruction given say to add these lines:

An example of the /sys/i386/conf/MACHINE file:
controller      scbus0                          # SCSI stuff
device          sd0
controller      ppbus0                          # ppbus stuff
controller      vpo0            at ppbus0       # Iomega ZIP support
device          nlpt0           at ppbus0       # printer support
device          ppi0            at ppbus0       # ppbus interface
#device         plip0           at ppbus0       # PLIP support
controller      ppc0    at isa? port? irq 7 vector ppcintr
#controller     ppa0    at isa? port 0x378      # Obsolete
#device         lpt0    at isa? port? tty       # Obsolete

I have tried the folloiwng with out much success:

# added for zip drive support
sd* 	at scsibus? target ? lun ?
ppbus0	at sd?
ppc0	at isa? port? irq7 vector ppcintr
vpo0	at ppbus0			# Zip support
nlpt0	at ppbus0			# printer suuport
ppi0	at ppbus0			# ppbus interface

One last thing is the file in the instructions it says to amend file:
	/sys/i386/i386/userconfig.c
that doesn't exist. (even when changed to: /sys/arch/i386/i386/). Does
anyone know of an equivilent file in NetBSD ?

Sorry if this is old hat to people ! I cannot find any other references
to getting a parallel port zip drives to work with NetBSD.

Thank you.

Simon.

--
Simon Rowe