Subject: Re: CD writing
To: Patrick Welche <prlw1@cam.ac.uk>
From: Frank van der Linden <frank@wins.uva.nl>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/03/1998 09:08:31
On Thu, Jul 02, 1998 at 07:08:23PM +0100, Patrick Welche wrote:
> Unfortunately the ftp site for
> packages/NetBSD-current/pkgsrc/sysutils/cdrecord/Makefile doesn't seem
> to accept connections anymore:
>
> MASTER_SITES=   ftp://ftp.fokus.gmd.de/pub/unix/cdrecord/

It works fine for me. You must've seen a temporary network problem.
I'm sure that if you try again it'll work just fine.

> So, does anyone know where one could get a copy of the source for
> cdrecord from? Which leads me to ask if it is possible to record CDs
> without that piece of software, but then is writing a disklabel with the
> line:

Believe me, you want cdrecord for creating CDs :) There's no such
thing as a BSD disklabel on (normal) ISO CD-ROMs. What you need is to
create an image with mkisofs, and then burn a CD with cdrecord.
There are some good examples in the manpages.

Of course, there is nothing that prevents you from creating an image
to write to CD which does contain a disklabel and perhaps an FFS
filesystem, etc, but that's not the "normal" procedure people use,
mkisofs should be sufficient for you.

- Frank