Subject: Re: timed where can I connect?
To: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
From: John Maier <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1998 16:26:47
Brook Milligan wrote:

>        I've found it to be rather picky, too.  It worked fine for me for
>    the 3 years I ran it in my dorm, fully connected via 10base-T.  Now that
>    I've graduated and on a dialup I've had very little success.
>
> Can't you use ntpdate to set the clock as soon as ppp connects.  I
> have that in my ip-up script and it works fine.  I don't leave my
> machine on the dialup connection long enough to worry about clock
> skew, so I don't use xntpd on the remote end, but I don't know why
> that can't also be started in ip-up after ntpdate (just like in
> /etc/rc).
>
> Am I missing something here?

you might  have a script fire off a ntpdate command, after you connect, with
your favorite time server as a prameter.

Since I've been running xntpd my time has stableized to within 0.014sec
+-0.001sec of the
stratum 1 time server I am connecting to (according to the ntpdate -q
server.domain command).

jam