Subject: Re: timed where can I connect?
To: None <WOFerry+@CMU.EDU>
From: Brook Milligan <brook@trillium.NMSU.Edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 07/01/1998 13:17:24
   Excerpts from internet.computing.netbsd.netbsd-help: 1-Jul-98 Re: timed
   where can I connect? by John Maier@mail.kemper.o
   > xntpd is very complicated and does a lot more that just check a time
   > server and set the local clock.

       I've found it to be rather picky, too.  It worked fine for me for
   the 3 years I ran it in my dorm, fully connected via 10base-T.  Now that
   I've graduated and on a dialup I've had very little success.

Can't you use ntpdate to set the clock as soon as ppp connects.  I
have that in my ip-up script and it works fine.  I don't leave my
machine on the dialup connection long enough to worry about clock
skew, so I don't use xntpd on the remote end, but I don't know why
that can't also be started in ip-up after ntpdate (just like in
/etc/rc).

Am I missing something here?

Cheers,
Brook