Subject: Re: sup configuration?
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul B Dokas <dokas@cs.umn.edu>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1998 14:07:13
On Thu, 18 Jun 1998, Brad Salai wrote:
> When I try to use it,
>
> # sup -v sup.warped
> SUP 8.26 (4.3 BSD) for file sup.warped at Jun 18 05:29:57
> SUP: Can't find my host entry
> #
>
> This same(obviously not, but I don't know what is different) setup works
> fine on a different machine.
>
> I've read the man page, but it isn't talking to me.
>
> Any suggestions? I'm prepared to be embarassed, I just want to get it
> running.

I was getting this exact behavior when I attempted to sup from the terminal
room at USENIX.  It turned out that the gethost() routing in scm.c assumes
that the hostname can be looked up with gethostbyname().  My hostname
is "voyager" but the ip was set to dhcp211.conference.usenix.org and
/etc/hosts only contained localhost.

I "fixed" this by making an entry for voyager in /etc/hosts that pointed
to the ip assigned by dhcp.

Does anyone know why sup cares what the hostname is anyway?

Paul
--
Paul Dokas                                            dokas@cs.umn.edu
Don Juan Matus:  "an enigma wrapped in mystery wrapped in a tortilla."