Subject: Upgrade problem
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Brad Colbert <bcolbert@ait.nrl.navy.mil>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1998 10:50:45
   Hey folks,

   I'm not sure where I should report this but I had a problem upgrading from
   1.2 to 1.3.2 on an i386 platform.

   A little about the machine I was upgrading:

   486DX2 (66Mhz)  20 Megs ram, et400 video card, Buslogic 445c(I think?)
   3 ide hard drives (1.3 Gig), (345 Meg), (220 Meg), the first two are
   connected to one ide interface, and the last is connected to another
   ide interface.  The rest of the stats don't come into play so I'll leave
   them out.

   I created the boot floppy using boot.fs.  It booted fine, recognizing
   all of my hardware (I love to see that).  The install/upgrade program
   started up (can't quite remember it's name) and I selected the Upgrade
   option.  It found and checked all the partitions on wd0 and wd1 but was
   unable to check wd2, so it wouldn't continue (My system is only on wd0 so
   I was a little sad that it wouldn't continue).  Anyways, I figured out
   that there wasn't a wd2 device defined in /dev so I was able to create
   that.

   Restarting the Upgrade process was more promissing this time.  It checked
   all the partitions on wd0, then wd1, and finally wd2, but then for some
   reason it went back to wd1f where it proceded to fail for reason I don't
   understand (since it passed the first time it checked it).

   I then proceeded to untar all the distribution files onto wd0 by hand, but
   I'm worried that the Upgrade process needs to do some extra stuff.  Is this
   true?  What could I have missed, if anything?

   Thanks,

   Brad

--
-| Brad Colbert        w: (202) 404-4708    ITD Virtual Reality Lab, NRL