Subject: Re: Strange cat behavior with directories
To: Christoph Badura <bad@ora.de>
From: Martin Cernohorsky <cerno@ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1998 16:52:58
On Jun 18, 16:33, Christoph Badura wrote:
> Subject: Re: Strange cat behavior with directories
>
> Well, "cat *>out" really is equivalent to "cat blah bob out > out" in
> this case.  And it is copying out onto itself.

This is shell-dependent. Bash and ksh first expand the file names,
then create the file to redirect output. In these shells, the
expression "cat *>out" would work as intended. (But I would not
recommend such constructions regardless of actual implementation
in current shell. :-)

cerno

--
Martin Cernohorsky
Institute of Computer Science

sig 1.2a * Got Mole problems?  Call Avogardo 6.02 x 10^23