Subject: Permissions and vi
To: None <netbsd-help@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Dave Cherkus <cherkus@homerun.unimaster.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/18/1998 09:33:24
Hello.  I have a new install of NetBSD/alpha version 1.3.2.  The
install only uses one directory because I have a small scsi disk.
Anyhow, when I use 'vi' I get the following complaint:

% vi foobar
ex/vi: Error: /var/tmp/vi.recover: Permission denied
ex/vi: Modifications not recoverable if the session fails
ex/vi: Error: foobar: No such file or directory
ex/vi: Error: Unable to create temporary file: No such file or directory

Here are the permissions.  At first they did not have group or
other write and didn't have the sticky bit set, and that also
didn't work, so I changed them to match a SunOS box I have.

% ls -ld / /tmp /var/tmp
drwxr-xr-x  16 root  wheel  512 Jun 17 16:09 //
drwxrwsrwt   2 root  wheel  512 Jun 18 02:54 /tmp/
drwxrwsrwt   3 root  wheel  512 Jun 17 17:05 /var/tmp/

I can access the file ok using 'ed', so I know it's something I'm
missing:

% ls -l foobar
-rw-r-----  1 cherkus  stuff  77 Jun 18 02:59 foobar
% ed foobar
77

So, what am I missing?

--
Dave Cherkus ------- UniMaster, Inc. ------ Contract Software Development
Specialties: UNIX Internals/Kernel TCP/IP Alpha Clusters Performance ISDN