Subject: Re: Trouble with BIOS,i486EISA&AHA1740
To: Brian Buhrow <buhrow@cats.ucsc.edu>
From: Igor <hibitek@globalserve.net>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/13/1998 08:02:40
Brian Buhrow wrote:

> so I find it hard to believe that your BIOS, RAM and SCSI card are all duff.

No, the RAM is not a technical problem, it is a time/$$$ problem. Should I decide
to change my motherboard, I would have to throw my old RAM away, since it is so
called (+) RAM, and I do not wish to hunt a motherboard that still supports it
either, perhaps they all do with a certain straps, which most likely would be
hidden under some fat service charge and days of headaches before I'd get the
right help desk clerk to direct my call to the right guru.  Therefore I'd be
really happy if I could keep my hardware which works just fine, except for "the
latest and the greatest" software features like BIOS supporting over 1024 MB, or
AHA1740 driver which definitely has a problem with my HW/architecture!

Similarly, changing a chip, on the motherboard may effect the EISA operations, and
a statement like yours above certainly doesn't convince me otherwise.

Thx for your insightful exposure!
Bye, Igor