Subject: Re: Two problems - help greatly appreciated.
To: Mason Loring Bliss <mason@acheron.middleboro.ma.us>
From: Zdenek Salvet <salvet@horn.ics.muni.cz>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/05/1998 09:28:20
> I picked up a sound card today... It works, sort of, but not like it should.
> If I cat a test .au file to /dev/audio, it'll play, but here's what's odd:
> It's like there's a buffer that holds maybe ten seconds or something of
> sound - maybe less - and
>
> cat food > /dev/audio
>
> won't exit until the whole mess has played four or so times. If I play
> something particularly long, and then play something short, when the short
> piece has ended, whatever is left in the buffer from the long sound will play.

I have seen such behaviour using builtin SB Pro emulation of Toshiba notebook
audio device with 1.3. Upgrade to -current kernel cured the problem.

> The other problem I'm having is that xautolock gives me a bus error / core
> dumped message when I try to run it. This occurs both with what I compiled
> from the package system and with the precompiled version I got from ftp.
> netbsd.org. I've got no clue why it would do this... I haven't tried it under
> a generic kernel yet, but so far nothing else has failed to run for me under
> my existing kernel. I posted a ktrace to one of the lists not too long ago,
> but since no one commented, it could be that no one saw it. I can post the
> ktrace again if anyone wants... It seems odd that such a common program
> would fail on my system. I haven't seen reports of anyone else having it
> break on them previously...

Compile with -g and run it under gdb.

--
Zdenek Salvet                                              salvet@ics.muni.cz
           If God had meant for us to be in the Army,