Subject: Re: [WM] Anyone know how to config XFree86 to use a different login screen other that the xlogin widget.
To: johnam@kemper.org <johnam@mail.kemper.org>
From: Oliver Graf <ograf@fga.de>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/04/1998 21:49:42
"John A. Maier - MIS dept." <johnam@mail.kemper.org> writes:

> I down loaded login.app from http://www.student.hk-r.se/~pt96pli/login/ and got to
> compile.  Now I am trying to make xdm to launch it instead of the boring xlogin widget.
>
> The INSTALL note in the tarball mentions a /etc/inittab file but:
>
> a) NetBSD doesn't have this file
> b) The xdm man page make no references to this file or this subject.
>
> There is a mention of a chooser, but this doesn't seem to be applicable.

I think this login app should replace xdm. Search for it in the inittab of
your system (or the NetBSD equiv of this -- it's the file where the runlevels
are defined and under linux it's called /etc/inittab).

There should be an entry like
# Run xdm in runlevel 5
x:5:respawn:/usr/bin/X11/xdm -nodaemon

Replace /usr/bin/X11/xdm with /PATH/TO/LOGIN.APP

Regards,
  Oliver.

P.S.: Perhaps you should also read the INSTALL that comes with
Login.app. Point 5 describes the thing you want to know.