Subject: Re: Corel's NetWinder Network computer. What do you think?
To: David Brownlee <abs@anim.dreamworks.com>
From: Mark Brinicombe <mark@causality.com>
List: netbsd-help
Date: 06/02/1998 20:06:31
On Tue, 2 Jun 1998, David Brownlee wrote:

> 	It sounds very much like a variation on the DNARD
> 		http://www.research.digital.com/SRC/iag/
> 	If so, a NetBSD port should be easy. If not, then it
> 	should certainly be _possible_ :)
Hi,
  A NetBSD/arm32 port pretty well exists I believe. I am not clued up on
the spec of the NetWinder but I believe that it uses the DEC DC21285 core
logic chip. This provides timers, interrupt controller, memory controller,
CPU-PCI bridge etc.etc.
NetBSD support for this device exists and is in the process of being
merged into the -current branch.
Having got the generic DC21285 'footbridge' support in place it is very
easy to get a kernel up and running on another footbridge based system.
All you would need to do is to make sure to build in the correct PCI
drivers (and ISA bus stuff if it has any legacy ISA support).
The only bit that would need fiddling with would problably be the init_arm
code just to sort the memory map out after the firmware has loaded the
kernel.

Cheers,
				Mark